Frizzy hair is frustrating to deal with. It lacks shine, volume, and smoothness. With the right products, treatments, and techniques, transform your frizzy locks into sleek, manageable hair. Before you can fix the frizz, it helps to understand what causes it in the first place. Frizz occurs when the outer layer of the hair cuticle becomes rough and porous. This allows moisture in the air to penetrate the hair shaft and cause it to swell. As the hair swells, it separates and sticks out from the cuticle, creating frizz. Using hot styling tools like blowdryers and flat irons also damages the cuticle over time, leading to frizz.
1. Wash and condition with hydrating products
Washing your hair with a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner hydration helps smooth the cuticle. After washing, blot hair gently with a towel – don’t rub vigorously.
2. Apply an anti-frizz serum or cream
Serums and creams contain emollients that seal the hair cuticle to block out humidity. Apply to damp hair before blow drying. Try frizz-fighting ingredients like dimethicone, argan oil, marula oil, or silicone.
3. Blow dry using the right techniques
Let hair air dry slightly before blow drying. Use a cool setting and keep the dryer 6 inches from your head. Blow hair smooth with a rounded brush. Finish with a cold blast to lock in moisture.
4. Switch to a gentle shampoo
Harsh sulfates can strip away the hair’s natural oils leading to frizz. Opt for a sulfate-free shampoo to preserve moisture. Also, limit washing to every 2-3 days if possible.
5. Try a deep-conditioning hair mask
Once a week, apply an intensive deep conditioning mask. Apply it after shampooing and let it sit for 5-10 minutes rinsing out.
6. Seal hair at night
At bedtime, apply an anti-frizz serum and cover your hair in a silk scarf or bonnet. The silk fabric won’t cause friction like cotton fort lauderdale hair salon.
7. Protect hair from sun damage
UV rays cause damage that leads to frizz. When outdoors, wear a hat or use a UV-protectant hair product when heat styling, always prep hair with a protective product first like a heat protectant spray. Styling creams and oils will also help fight frizz.
Home remedies for frizzy hair
To store-bought products, use things from your kitchen to whip up homemade frizz-fighting solutions. Give these DIY ingredients a try:
- Honey – The humectant properties help hair hold onto moisture. Mix with a little warm water and apply to damp hair. Rinse after 20 minutes.
- Coconut oil – Contains fatty acids that seal the cuticle. Rub a small amount through your hands and scrunch into your hair.
- Apple cider vinegar – Seals the cuticle and restores hair’s pH balance. Add a tablespoon to a cup of water and pour over hair after shampooing.
With the right blend of products and homemade solutions, win the battle against frizz and enjoy smooth, shiny hair. Be consistent with the techniques and find the right combination for your hair type. With a little trial and error, you’ll be frizz-free in no time!h